Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Time Slips By - March 13, 2013

Time is quietly passing here, each day centered around sliding and tripping my way to and from my visits with "Melody," (not her real name) as temperatures dropped  several days ago and froze the slush blob icebergs into a treacherous mass.   I laugh at myself stumbling in my high-tech snow boots while around me the women in stilettos and high-heeled boots walk daintily over the lumpy ice … I am seriously outclassed on every level, an ungraceful and un-elegant “Americanski.”  A routine of sorts has developed, from waking up at the crack of dawn in hopes that I can Skype with the kids as they’re getting ready for bed back home in U.S.A., to falling asleep with a book on my nose each night.  In the morns, before pedestrian traffic gets going, I drink coffee and watch the stray dog action on the street below.  Stray dogs are like undergarments here , a constant presence … wandering, watching, playing, fighting, and forever howling.  Like the cats, they don’t appear to be overly thin or unhappy … just scruffy looking.  Just as my coffee runs out, it’s time to start gearing up and head down the road, where I meet  my fellow adoptive friends A & M for our morning trudge. 
Stray dogs, bleeding hearts. Suitcase sized?
 
Once we arrive at the orphanage, A & M head to their baby’s groupa.  I take Melody to the locked “gym,” but first I wander halls saying, Isvinichya!  Isvinichya!  Knooch, pah-zahl-stah? (excuse me, key, please?).  Once in, I am to remove my boots, put on slippers and my mask, sanitize my hands, and fetch Melody  from upstairs.  Her nannies now smile and sing out “XXX (Melody’s real name) momma!  XXX momma!”  when I show up for each visit.
At today’s morning visit, an amazing conversation took place today with nothing but gesturing, a handful of *ussian words, and laughter to fill up the uncomfortable spaces where no one was understood.  The orphanage doctor met me as I climbed the stairs to fetch Melody from her groupa.  Five minutes of language bumbling later, the message was received:  Melody  is sick and would I please go to a pharmacy and purchase medicines for her?  A “prescription” was written which was nothing more than a handwritten list on a three-inch piece of torn-up scratch paper.  Not that that matters, as medicines are filled here “over the counter” and without a prescription anyway.  As far as I could figure it, based on my morning visit, Melody had a tad of a cold and a little rash around her neck … but my required “list” filled an entire sack with lotions, potions, and medicines including an antiobiotic!  I wonder what my shopping list would have looked like had she been REALLY sick?  No point in entering  into a viral-versus-bacterial debate using hand signals ... things are always better when you just go with the flow.   So be it.  (Nurse sisters, are you cringing too?)

The trouble of the day had to do with the car ride to and from the pharmacy.  I am car sick, seriously car sick.  The driving here is nuts:  There appear to be no rules or limits or road improvement crews, and it felt like we were doing 70 on a busy pot-holey city street with pedestrians walking just a couple feet away.   I got dropped back off at the orphanage in just enough time for my afternoon visit with my legs as wobbly as Melody’s.  The groupa head nanny was relieved to see the bag of meds and thanked me profusely … and then I had Melody to myself for an hour and a half.  Luckily, she  was full of spunk and vinegar today and took my mind off my misery for the most part, although I cheated and pulled my face mask down when no one was looking since wearing a face mask when you’re post-car-sick is torture.  Besides, I am starting to worry that Melody thinks the face mask is a permanent part of my head and will be frightened when she sees that I have a mouth that moves.  Sure enough, her eyes got very wide when she saw the new different me.   I put it back on.  Go with the flow, go with the flow …

As I was leaving my morning visit today, three groupa nannies surrounded  me, earnestly inquiring … something!!!  I finally figured out that they were very worried about what I would name “Melody” when she gets to “America.”  I reassured them, “Ah!!  (real name, real name)!!  Da, da!”  They were so relieved that you could see tears in their eyes, and they all hugged me.  The mistrust that was so apparent a week ago is washing away.  I love these women, who present Melody to me proudly each visit with a fresh hair-do, dolled up in her only dress (which I gather is the only garment here that fits her), and swaddled lovingly in an old stained blanket.  They are doing the best they can in a flawed, sad, and impoverished system, and they love their babies … Melody too.   I am grateful.
Limped my way home, still nauseated … I’m skipping dinner, saying hi and good night to ya’all, and calling it an early night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment